Sunday, October 30, 2011

A bad experience in ADK


ADK HOSPITAL - MALDIVES

Obviously it is very common to have undergone frustration and discomfort in receiving services from the two major hospitals in Male’- ADK and IGMH. For years, I have chosen ADK over IGMH for the reasons that it is located in the proximity of my living area and it ‘seems’ that it provides a less ‘burdening’, smooth and a fast service than IGMH.

But having to wait in the queue for hours counting the monotonous beeps of token display systems and wastage of time due to the limited information available are still prevailing draw backs in ADK.

Anyways, as the heading says, my point is to share a bad day I have experienced in ADK recently.

Last week I went ADK for a medical examination. When my token was displayed, I went to the counter and said the type of medical examination I intend to do and the country to which it will be passed.  “To which Doctor do you want to consult?”, replied the girl. I told her the name – Dr Pandian upon which I was asked to pay MRF750.

I paid the money and went to doctor’s room when it was my turn. Dr Pandian instructed me what I should do – the tests I need to perform for the medical examination. He gave me an appointment for another day before which I had to have everything done.

Afterwards, I hurried to the Radiology room hoping to complete the required tests within one day. Things went smoothly other than taking few more minutes for completing the form by the Radiologist.

I went to the Laboratory for a urine test on the heels of radiography. “You have to pay for the test”, said the Lab tech after seeing my memo and the test sheet. Unbelievably I went back to the counter and talked to the same girl I met first, though I was pretty sure that the initial payment should cover all the expenses. To my surprise, she also took the side of lab tech and told me to go to another counter for the payment. But I insisted. Asking me to wait, she went in to the office, probably to talk a senior staff. She came back within few minutes and said that I have to pay for the urine test and she could check me the price for that. “Ok, check me the price, but I need to talk to a senior”, I replied. She said that the price for the urine test is MRF60 while heading to call for a senior. A lady in brown uniform appeared who told me that the urine test is not included in the medical examination. According to her it was a test prescribed by Dr Pandian since he felt that I should do a urine test apart from my medical examination. Superb! Isn’t it? It didn’t make sense to me. So I asked, “What tests are covered in this medical examination?” She paused for a while and giving me an embarrassing smile and showing me a sign from her palm which possibly meant ‘wait’, disappeared into office. Not much time elapsed before she came back and told me that if I have done a urine test recently I can use the result of that test instead of repeating it which was not a satisfactory answer to my mess. She also came up with a list of medical tests that ‘according to her’ are covered in the medical examination from which she excluded the urine test. Despite the questions harbouring in my mind I surrendered. I went to the counter where they were directing me to pay for the urine test.

Alas, the girl there started a totally different story. According to her I have to pay MRF160 whose breakdowns were MRF100 for the initial consultation which according to her is not charged from me and MRF60 for the urine test. Though low tempered, by then I have started to lose my mind. Trying to muffle my frustrations, I told the girl that I have paid for the medical examination and had the initial consultation. As usual, she disappeared into the office. Through the glass window I could see her talking to a lady in brown uniform which was not the same staff I have talked to. After a while, she whisked towards me pressing her forehead with one hand. She said that I don’t have to pay for the urine test, but initial consultation fee is not charged from me for which I have to pay MRF100”.

I was totally amused and confused for the awareness these pretty ladies have regarding the policies and procedures of their work place. Finally, thinking that it is over, I paid MRF100 and went back to lab.

“You have to pay for the urine test”, said the lab tech looking at me as if I didn’t know what I was up to. Although she was a different lab tech and her statement was pleasant, it ignited sparkles of fire in my mind. “From the counter they said I don’t have to pay for it”, I replied in a bit unpleased tone.

As if she understood the worries running through my mind, she went to the counter with all my documents while I directed her to the staff who serviced me last. I guess it was a lab test sheet named as medical examination which was missing. I am not sure. They solved the problem.

It took hours for me to complete something that could be completed within few minutes. About 6-7 staffs of different levels looked into the matter but no one seemed to thoroughly know what procedures should be followed  to solve the struggle I had went through.

No doubt, ADK needs better staff awareness programs.
Categories:

0 comments:

Post a Comment